- Learn to notice things that might otherwise be invisible.
- Really seeing is careful, mindful observation.
- Develop an ‘intelligent eye.’ There is looking and there is seeing. Know that looking is not always seeing.
- When artists see carefully, they can override the stereotypes that lead to common ‘mistakes,’ such as drawing far away objects too large or drawing hands too small for the body.
- Artists spend significantly more time looking at what they are drawing than do novices who look primarily at their drawing.